Cooperation is Key
From the beginning, the Veriflora program has been strengthened by the input of key stakeholders including farmers, workers, distributors, and retailers, as well as environmental, consumer, and worker advocacy organizations. This collaborative approach has made it possible to integrate the direct experience and wisdom of these stakeholders at each stage of the production and handling process.
What Makes Veriflora Unique?
Veriflora is unique among sustainability certification programs for fresh cut flowers and potted plants in several respects:
- It establishes significant greenhouse gas reduction and energy efficiency goals to make sure that growers and handlers are doing their part to tackle some of the most difficult challenges of our time.
- It requires growers to develop a plan for converting to organic pest management and soil fertility practices, creating a unified path for organic and sustainable agriculture.
- It actively steers farmers away from potentially harmful agrochemical usage.
- It contains extensive ecosystem, water quality protection, and resource conservation measures to protect the ecology for generations to come.
- It creates a climate of cooperation with workers, their families and communities.
- It applies to everyone in the supply chain, including not only growers, but shippers, distributors, and retailers as well.
Veriflora is bringing about tangible changes that are already benefiting farmers and farmworkers, the environment, and consumers. Here are some of the changes accomplished by program participants to date:
- Launched new searches for organic materials and alternatives.
- Eliminated dangerous agrochemicals, resulting in cost savings and a safer work environment.
- Strenghten community programs in health and education.
- Increased employee satisfaction, reduced employee turnover and increased employee problem-solving and teamwork.
- Implemented changes in water management and erosion control.
- Instituted quality controls measures aimed at enhancing product quality and longevity.